Sometimes I feel like giving up on scones. I put the call out for a reliably good Aussie scone recipe and Kylie responded. Here's the recipe and a thumbs up from me. The only thing - Kylie fervently recommends eating them with double cream! You choose your peril.
Margot's Prize Winning Scones
3 cups sifted SR flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
- mix ingredients together with a knife and turn onto a floured board.
- bring dough together, do not overwork, roll out to 3/4" thickness; cut scones.
- bake in oven gas 190-200 degrees for 20mins or fan forced 180 degrees.
- makes about 15 scones. Scones will last for 3 days.
- these scones freeze well. Put in microwave for 15-20 secs (like new again).
I served mine with freshly whipped cream and mulberry and lime jelly. Nicka and Sam thought they were divine. Several hours later and they still remained soft and light.
The quote of the week for me comes from Kate who recently commented on High Time for High Tea with this delightful saying:
"But as we all know....Scones are mainly a delivery vehicle for good jam and cream!!!"